Home / Own the Crowd / Valentine’s Day for the Single Man
Valentine’s Day for the Single Man

Valentine’s Day for the Single Man

Share
Writ­ten by: Murph

Murphy’s Law – Valentine’s Day for the Sin­gle Man

With a Valentine’s Day swag in your step, you approach the front door of your date’s house. You’re fully loaded with a dozen roses, an assorted box of choco­lates and a smile that will make any girl swoon. Your four-door sedan is still run­ning, with a lit­tle Mar­vin Gaye on the radio…

Wait, wait, wait….

This is not going to be one of those kind of arti­cles. It’s Feb­ru­ary 14th and your anthem is “She Ain’t Gonna Tie Me Down”. Obvi­ously this Fri­day night you are plan­ning on hit­ting the bar and find­ing all of Beyonce’s “Sin­gle Ladies” or order­ing two large piz­zas and glu­ing your eyes to the new sea­son of House of Cards on Net­flix. For a sin­gle man, Valentine’s Day does not have to be the loneli­est day of the year. So, sit back and cue “Ridin’ Solo” and enjoy not being tied down on Valentine’s Day.

1. A Valentine’s Day Gift…For Yourself

Man Watching TV Resize 300x200 Valentines Day for the Single Man

This is the per­fect oppor­tu­nity to pam­per your­self with some­thing you have been want­ing. New suit? New watch? New flat screen TV? Yes, I am telling you a new flat screen TV is cheaper than Valentine’s Day. I am not a math­e­mati­cian, but I will break it down:

$50 for over­priced roses, $20 for over­priced choco­lates, $200 for a Michael Kors’ clutch, $100 for din­ner and drinks. ($370)

New 42” HDTV ($350)

Declare this a “me day” and splurge on yourself.

2. Fam­ily Guy

Family Man Resize 300x200 Valentines Day for the Single Man

With Valentine’s Day being on a Fri­day, take the trip home to see your fam­ily. Tell mom, dad, your aunt and uncle, grandma and grandpa that you are com­ing home for the week­end. After all, Valentine’s Day is sup­posed to be with your loved ones right?

3. Catch Up With You

Man with Headphones Resize 300x200 Valentines Day for the Single Man

Chances are, you have had a long week and you would rather just avoid the lovey-dovey cou­ples on Fri­day night. Why not just take a night in and have some alone time? This is the per­fect oppor­tu­nity to catch up on a Net­flix show, read a book or just sim­ply be alone with your thoughts.

4. Make a Commitment

My New Life Resize 300x200 Valentines Day for the Single Man

What was your New Year’s Res­o­lu­tion? Are you still keep­ing up with it? Take this oppor­tu­nity to start doing some­thing new! Maybe your 2014 res­o­lu­tion fell through and you are look­ing to do some­thing to bet­ter your­self. Well, you can’t learn to ball­room dance in one night, but you can absolutely start learn­ing. Some dif­fer­ent exam­ples of things to make a com­mit­ment to do are learn­ing a sec­ond lan­guage, learn­ing an instru­ment or join an orga­ni­za­tion in your community.

5. Guys Night

Happy Friends Resize 300x200 Valentines Day for the Single Man

It should be a man law to have a solid core of sin­gle male friends. Get the group together and hit a bar or play poker at someone’s house. Hit the golf course and just blow off some steam about this whole Hall­mark hol­i­day. Have a laugh over the roses and the choco­lates and enjoy a whiskey and coke. Make a spur of the moment, impromptu trip with the guys. One that you will never for­get! Did some­one just say Vegas?

I hope this gives you a lit­tle more con­fi­dence and some other ideas when you face Fri­day alone. My biggest piece of advice to remem­ber that it is just another day. Big freak­ing deal that soci­ety says you need to go buy over­priced choco­lates and a Tiffany bracelet for some­one. Wake up, go to work/school, head to happy hour and have a great Friday!

Hair today, gone tomor­row,
Murph

Any other tips for Sin­gles Aware­ness Day? We would love to hear them in the com­ments below!