Home / Man Wisdom / Johnny Manziel — the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Johnny Manziel — the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Share
Writ­ten by: The Sixth Man

5 Things We Can Learn from Johnny Football

For most war­riors of the grid­iron, it takes a long, dis­tin­guished career to gain leg­endary sta­tus among fans and fel­low mem­bers of the hal­lowed foot­ball fra­ter­nity.  Decades of com­bat between the num­bers, a body of bruises and scars, and a man­tle of tro­phies tra­di­tion­ally serve as the only admis­sion tick­ets to the prover­bial moun­tain of legends.

Unless, of course, you suit up as No. 2 for maroon and white in Col­lege Sta­tion every Saturday.

Manziel Resized 300x200 Johnny Manziel   the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Whether we attribute it to the non-stop sports media cov­er­age, off-the field drama, or suc­cess on game day, sopho­more Texas A&M signal-caller Johnny Manziel has ascended into the most elite cat­e­gory of col­lege foot­ball heroes.  In 2012, he became the first fresh­man to take home the Heis­man Tro­phy and forced him­self onto the front page with sig­na­ture high­lights.  ‘Johnny Foot­ball’ became some­thing more than a leg­end – he became a folk­lore icon.

Fast-forward a year and the world has seen Manziel burst through an auto­graph scan­dal nearly unscathed, only to build on his legacy with more breath­tak­ing moments.  On the verge of mak­ing the leap to the pros, ‘Johnny Foot­ball’ can still be seen scram­bling behind a makeshift offen­sive line, sprint­ing past the nation’s best defend­ers, toss­ing touch­downs, and flash­ing his trade­mark money ges­ture around the stadium.

A select few will ever get to elec­trify the crowd for Texas A&M, and almost no one will expe­ri­ence the mete­oric rise that Manziel has seen in the past two sea­sons.  But the lessons taught by a con­tro­ver­sial twenty-one year-old super­star extend well off the field and can be applied to the life of any leg­end in train­ing.  Let’s take a look at five things we can all learn from wild­card ‘Johnny Football’:

NEXT