Home / Muscle Factory / Diet and Nutrition / College and Coffee: Why You Should Too
College and Coffee: Why You Should Too

College and Coffee: Why You Should Too

Share
Cham­pi­oned By: Nancy Nevin-Folino, MEd, RDCSPLDFADA
Co-authored by: Nevin

Cof­fee: You Can Sleep When You’re Dead

Coffee Bulbs Resize 300x198 College and Coffee: Why You Should Too

Cof­fee and the caf­feine are prob­a­bly the most talked about drinks and anti-sleep reme­dies. Black cof­fee has gone in and out of health favor over the last few decades. Lucky for you, now cof­fee is con­sid­ered a health ben­e­fit, within rea­son like any­thing else.

And the moment you’ve all been wait­ing for? The ben­e­fits (only a few here, but my favorites):

1. Faster Mus­cle Recovery

Stud­ies show that tak­ing caf­feine, com­bined with car­bo­hy­drates, after exer­cise leads to post exer­cise mus­cle repair (replen­ish­ing mus­cle glyco­gen), which also leads to less mus­cle fatigue/pain. Of course, it is also very impor­tant to hydrate appro­pri­ately and efficiently.

2. Boosts Mem­ory Capacity

Accord­ing to a new study in Japan, sci­en­tists found out that just as mus­cle cells are stim­u­lated by caf­feine, brain cells in the hip­pocam­pus are stim­u­lated to increase cal­cium con­cen­tra­tion. This improves the cells sig­nal flow, which improves memory.”*

The gen­eral thought is that caf­feine makes you more awake and then there­fore you are able to access YOUR brain at an accel­er­ated rate. John Hop­kins did a sim­i­lar study:

3. Improves Stamina

Caf­feine does increases sta­mina dur­ing exer­cise, mainly from mak­ing your body and brain be in an “awake, more aware” state.

4. Makes You Feel Like a Lot of Bucks

Caf­feine has shown to ease depres­sion by increas­ing dopamine (neu­ro­trans­mit­ter that plays sev­eral impor­tant roles) in the brain. Dos­ing your­self how­ever does not sub­sti­tute for ther­apy and other med­ica­tion; so talk to your doc.

Also, after a long night out, cof­fee is there in the morn­ing to make you feel better.

Here are some facts, for your reference:

Rec­om­mended intake = 200 — 500 mg of caffeine/day – read your labels or check online for con­tent. To give you an idea:

One cup brewed cof­fee = 200 mg

Tea (5 oz) = 60 mg (varies per type so read label)

Espresso = 64 mg /fl oz

When have you had too much?

Great ques­tion! The com­mon symp­toms that usu­ally occur to let you know that you have taken in too much caf­feine and should stop con­sump­tion are:

• Jit­ters and restlessness
  • Increased heart­beat
  • Nau­sea and dizziness

And finally, from one Cof­fee Lover to Another, here are sev­eral things to think about:

Coffee Love 300x200 College and Coffee: Why You Should Too

1. Cof­fee is an acquired taste, trust me you’ll grow to love it!
  2. Cof­fee can be a very healthy part of your day and life, but in moderation.
  3. Cof­fee shouldn’t be con­sumed 5–6 hours before bed time if you’re inter­ested in qual­ity sleep.
  4. If you can’t talk to peo­ple in the morn­ing with­out cof­fee, you should slow down a bit. Black and Green Tea are excel­lent alter­na­tives with lower doses of caffeine
  5. Find your thresh­old — how much can you drink with­out jit­ters or side effects — stay away from your limit.
  6. Don’t use caf­feine for lack of sleep on a reg­u­lar basis — you will slowly build a tol­er­ance to it and even­tu­ally won’t receive any stim­u­lant from consumption.
  7. Con­sider lim­it­ing the extras (cream, sug­ary addi­tives, etc) to help keep you trim and buff!

And if you have time, take a look at this 2 minute infor­ma­tional clip to sum every­thing up:

Car­ing about your health and well­ness,
Nancy Nevin-Folino, MEd, RDCSPLDFADA

What do you love about cof­fee? Star­bucks or Dunkin Donunts? Any ben­e­fits we missed? We want to hear about it in the com­ments below!

*Source Used:
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-safe-limits