Home / Create the Legend / 31 Day Challenge / 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving
31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

Share
Cham­pi­oned by: Scott
Co-authored by: Nevin

DAY 9: “You clean up well.” — that’s what she said

We have a rep­u­ta­tion to main­tain here, gentlemen.

Sure, we could roll out of bed and con­tinue to rock the, “I haven’t shaved in a week because, 1) I want to look older, 2) maybe ladies will think I’m a rebel/douche-bag, which has to boost my street credit, or 3) I’m so good at being a lazy, no-talented a**-clown.”

News flash: I would argue only 20% of guys in col­lege can actu­ally grow a respectable beard. Every­one else, and you know who you are, should not try to fit in by grow­ing a small rodent on your face.

Don’t be that guy.

[Takes sip of espresso, puts on iconic game face] We’re bet­ter than that… let’s learn how to shave like men, keep it clean and classy, and get the best kind of street credit… Boss Sta­tus:

Proper Shav­ing Routine

Foam and Brush Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

If you do this right, shav­ing becomes a very ther­a­peu­tic and relax­ing expe­ri­ence. Feel­ing great, refreshed, and just thank­ful for being such a badass.

Are you ready for the secret Leg­endary Shav­ing Rit­ual? Your welcome.

1. Exfo­li­ate (30–60 sec­onds)- look into face washes with exfo­li­at­ing beads for this, helps clear away the dead skin and “wake’s up” your whiskers, so you can get a closer shave. Be easy with it, let the micro-beads do the work, don’t try to grind them into your face.
  2. Pre-shave Oil (15 sec­onds)- soft­ens up your face and adds some weight to your scruff, reduc­ing irri­ta­tion and mak­ing it eas­ier for your blade to “pick up” the stub­ble. I rec­om­mend either going with an unscented vari­ety, or some­thing that com­pli­ments your shav­ing cream’s aroma.
  3. Lather Up (45–60 sec­onds)- we’re going to need you to throw out the crap you got from the con­ve­nience store. When we say lather up, we mean brush­ing ACTUAL shav­ing cream on your face, bar­ber­shop style. Rec­om­mended prod­ucts are below. Start by soak­ing the brush in warm to hot water for 20–30 sec­onds. Let the brush drip out a bit to avoid a mess, and then dip it in your shav­ing cream,you won’t need more than a nickel-sized glob. Start brush­ing onto your face in a cir­cu­lar motion, build­ing up a nice lather in the process.
  4. Shave (2–3 min­utes)- remem­ber this: the goal is beard reduc­tion with your strokes, not instant removal. Let the blade do the work, don’t press it into your face to try and take it out in one swipe. Also, short strokes to reduce irri­ta­tion. Work the angles of your face, and DO NOT go against the grain. Some sources will say you can after you have gone over it once or twice, but seri­ously at your own risk. Chances are, you’ll get a lot of unwanted in-grown hairs.
  5. Shave Again (1–2 min­utes)- remem­ber when I just said beard reduc­tion? Brush up again and go over every­thing again to get the last bit of stubble.
  6. After Shave Time (20–30 sec­onds)- apply a  healthy por­tion of after shave, and go with the non-alcoholic vari­ety so it doesn’t dry out your face. Much like the pre-shave oil, either go with unscented or some­thing that com­pli­ments your shav­ing cream.

There you have it, folks — in less than 10 min­utes, your face will be silky smooth and ready to show off that impres­sive jaw line of yours.

For added effect, the Art of Man­li­ness has a great instruc­tional video:

On to Build­ing Your Shav­ing Arsenal

Barber Shaving Brush 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

Razors and Blades — we rec­om­mend using a safety razor, which gives you the sin­gle blade you’re look­ing for. If you want, you can try your hand at a straight razor (bar­bor­shop blade style), but at your own risk.

The Leg­endary Collegian’s Blade of Choice: Merkur Model 180 Long Han­dled Safety Razor 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

Blade Refills: Merkur-Razor Dou­ble Edge Razor Blades 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

Shav­ing Brush — you’ll find two dif­fer­ent kinds of shav­ing brushes out there, boar or bad­ger hair. Boar hair is sig­nif­i­cantly cheaper, but you get what you pay for. The Leg­endary Col­le­gian uses a bad­ger hair brush.

The Leg­endary Collegian’s Brush of Choice: Omega 13109 Creamy Curved Han­dle Pure Bad­ger Shav­ing Brush 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

Shav­ing Cream — chances are, you’ve been using shav­ing cream from a pres­sur­ized can for a while now. Time to step up to the big leagues. And instead of smelling like a bath­room cleaner, you’ll be left feel­ing and smelling all burly and legendary.

The Leg­endary Collegian’s Shav­ing Cream of Choice: Tay­lor of Old Bond Street San­dal­wood Shav­ing Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

Exfo­li­at­ing, Mois­tur­iz­ing, and Post-Shave - these are going to help you stay fresh, reduce cuts, sore­ness, and/or red­ness, and give you almost a glow­ing effect to your face, which is awesome.

The Leg­endary Collegian’s Exfo­li­at­ing Face Wash of Choice: Nivea for Men Energy Face Scrub, 4.4 Ounce Tube 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

The Leg­endary Collegian’s Pre-Shave Oil of Choice: The Art of Shav­ing San­dal­wood Pre-Shave Oil 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

The Leg­endary Collegian’s After Shave of Choice: Art of Shav­ing After Shave Balm San­dal­wood for All Skin Types 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 9: Learn the Art of Shaving

And for those of you that can grow a respectable beard — keep it trimmed and clean!

Enjoy the com­pli­ments, gents.

Over the next month, be on the look­out for your new chal­lenge every day — you can also fol­low the updated series of posts here.

Also, be sure to print out and hang up your Chal­lenge Check­list so you can keep track. You’ll get a sneak peak at what’s to come, but can get fur­ther details with the post asso­ci­ated with each day.

The 31 Day Chal­lenge Checklist

Remem­ber, leg­ends are con­stantly improv­ing them­selves, so it’s up to you to work hard in accom­plish­ing each daily task to help you become the leg­end on your campus.

Good Luck!

How was your first wet shave expe­ri­ence? Have any other shav­ing tips? We want to hear about them. Please keep us updated on your efforts in the com­ments below!