Home / Create the Legend / 31 Day Challenge / 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead
31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead

Share
Cham­pi­oned by: Scott
Co-authored by: Nevin

Day 8: Not All Read­ers Are Lead­ers, But All Lead­ers Are Readers

Read to Lead?

It’s true, Leg­ends. You want to rule this world? You’ll have to hit the books.

And no, we’re not refer­ring to the 40 lbs. of course text you carry around. You tech­ni­cally “have” to read those (tell me you do and I’ll call you a liar). We’re talk­ing about read­ing for recre­ation, whether it’s a clas­sic, non-fiction mas­ter­piece, or just a hobby book, some­thing you’re doing to develop and learn out­side of the classroom.

Knowledge Resize 300x294 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead

You have a gift… you can learn, put sim­ply. Give your­self a pat on the back. And we’re going to need you to take advan­tage of it.

Buy 4 Books to Read This Year

Opened Book Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead

Set a goal for your­self to read one book a quar­ter, which for you non-business-minded folks means one every three months.

Shoot for one book in per­sonal devel­op­ment, one biog­ra­phy, one fic­tional read, and lastly The Defin­ing Decade: Why Your Twen­ties Matter–And How to Make the Most of Them Now 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead writ­ten by Dr. Megan Jay. The Leg­endary Col­le­gian staff highly rec­om­mends this last book. It out­lines the strug­gles we all have dur­ing our twen­ties and how to best over­come them.

SEE ALSO: 3 Short Must-Read Moti­va­tional Books

Get On the 30 Minute Plan

StopWatch Resize 300x300 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead

Hav­ing trou­ble tack­ling this whole read­ing thing? No wor­ries, I did too — in fact I hated read­ing as a young lad. My page per minute rate was atro­cious, demor­al­iz­ing I know, and my atten­tion span lasted maybe 30 min­utes, hardly enough time to get “into” a book.

So how did I learn to love it?

So… 30 min­utes, huh? Hmm… what if I just set aside 30 min­utes to read every day, and just not care how many pages I flipped through, as long as that was my “read­ing time”. Guess what? It worked! I WAS CURED. For the love of throne wor­thy suc­cess and respectable bub­ble butts, I was knock­ing out a book every month.

And if I can do it, you can do it.

Set aside 30 min­utes of your day to do noth­ing but read. I rec­om­mend sched­ul­ing it either right when you wake up or right before bed to start off with. Over time, you’ll develop the habit, and even­tu­ally will feel guilty for not read­ing. Pretty awe­some stuff. 

Want to Learn How to Speed Read?

Speedometer Resize 300x214 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 8: Read to Lead

So did we, and we found an easy way to do it:

Wel­come to Spreeder.com!

Basi­cally, the rea­son why you can’t speed read already: we are taught to enun­ci­ate words as we read them, even if we don’t ver­bally say it (i.e. — in your head). Try it, try to read some­thing right now… even though you’re not read­ing out loud, you’re still say­ing each word in your head. This is too slow.

Good news, though: your brain can process infor­ma­tion much, much faster than that (whoop whoop!), and this soft­ware teaches you how.… for free.

Let us know how it goes!

Over the next month, be on the look­out for your new chal­lenge every day — you can also fol­low the updated series of posts here.

Also, be sure to print out and hang up your Chal­lenge Check­list so you can keep track. You’ll get a sneak peak at what’s to come, but can get fur­ther details with the post asso­ci­ated with each day.

The 31 Day Chal­lenge Checklist

Remem­ber, leg­ends are con­stantly improv­ing them­selves, so it’s up to you to work hard in accom­plish­ing each daily task to help you become the leg­end on your campus.

Good Luck!

Have any books to rec­om­mend? Have any other speed read­ing tips? We want to hear about it. Please keep us updated on your efforts in the com­ments below!