Home / Create the Legend / 31 Day Challenge / 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 6: Get More Involved
31 Days to Become a Legend Day 6: Get More Involved

Share
Cham­pi­oned by: Scott
Co-authored by: Nevin

DAY 6: Get Involved in One or More Orga­ni­za­tions on Campus

The oppor­tu­ni­ties to test your lead­er­ship skills in col­lege are end­less. As a Leg­end, we’re look­ing for you to put your­self in the best pos­si­ble sce­nario for suc­cess. Through involve­ment, your inter­per­sonal skills, tal­ents, and gen­eral badassery will con­tinue to move in a pos­i­tive direction.

So where should you start? Great ques­tion! Most of the time, because there are so many oppor­tu­ni­ties, pick­ing one can be rather overwhelming.

But revel this: instead of involve­ment, think of it as cam­pus power. There are 5–10 orga­ni­za­tions on cam­pus you could get involved in, climb up the ranks, and actu­ally become a sig­nif­i­cant power-figure on your cam­pus. And, by the way, this is power that you can not buy. How awe­some does that sound?

We know you want to become influ­en­tial. We’re glad you’re on board.

No wor­ries — let us help you with this. We strongly rec­om­mend you cover three areas of devel­op­ment as you are look­ing to get involved:

An Orga­ni­za­tion that will Ben­e­fit you Professionally

Cuffs Resize 300x199 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 6: Get More Involved

This one is a no-brainer. Of course you want a group that can not only give you a taste of your desired pro­fes­sion, but also pad the stats on your resume. Sev­eral ideas:

• College-specific fra­ter­ni­ties (i.e. — a busi­ness, engi­neer­ing, med­ical, law, etc. fra­ter­nity) — added bonus: get into a lead­er­ship posi­tion and you basi­cally are get­ting expe­ri­ence run­ning a small business.
  • Co-op pro­grams
  • Intern­ships, both paid and unpaid (def­i­nitely a must! Ask your col­lege office or favorite pro­fes­sor about opportunities)
  • A service-based orga­ni­za­tion (i.e. — com­mu­nity ser­vice or phil­an­thropic related)

An Orga­ni­za­tion that will Ben­e­fit you Academically

Chalkboard Resize 300x171 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 6: Get More Involved

Per­form­ing well in school is lit­er­ally your job. Let me reit­er­ate: when you’re asked for your pro­fes­sion, you would tell them you’re a full-time stu­dent, cor­rect? Yes, a.k.a. it’s your job. And really the only quan­ti­ta­tive per­for­mance met­ric for a col­lege stu­dent is what? That’s right, your G.P.A. — not how many all-nighters you pulled, tests that were unfair, or what­ever unfor­tu­nate cir­cum­stances that came your way… but the bot­tom line, your grades. For­tu­nately, there are many orga­ni­za­tions specif­i­cally designed to ensure you have all the resources you need to per­form well in the classroom:

• Col­lege Hon­orary Soci­eties (every col­lege on your cam­pus should have one)
  • Teacher’s Assis­tant Pro­gram (ask your col­lege office or favorite pro­fes­sor about opportunities)
  • Tutor­ing Pro­grams (if you’re lucky, you can look into and acquire a spot on the ath­letic tutor­ing team, and tutor the col­le­giate stars from your university’s ath­letic program)
  • College-Specific Advisor’s Assis­tant (guess who gets to pick the sched­ule they want?)

An Orga­ni­za­tion that will Ben­e­fit you Socially

HR Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 6: Get More Involved

We are social beings, and mak­ing friends in col­lege will make you happy. There are many social engage­ments in col­lege, but we can take it one step fur­ther and join a cause big­ger than our­selves. We are a lit­tle biased toward Greek Orga­ni­za­tions, as most of the LC’s staff are fra­ter­nity men, but there are tons of social groups out there:

• Fra­ter­ni­ties (I would advo­cate Greek Life to any­one, it’s an excep­tional expe­ri­ence, just make sure you stay away from the “Ani­mal Houses”, that’s not what being in a fra­ter­nity is about)
  • Stu­dent Gov­ern­ment (“yeah, I’ll take one sta­tus sym­bol, please”)
  • Clubs, Inter­est Groups, and Hobby Related Gath­er­ings (one of these for any­thing you can think of, I found a tri-bacon club once…)

And if you can’t find one that inter­ests you, be a Cham­pion and cre­ate one. Any way you can become more vis­i­ble on cam­pus, the closer you will be on your way to becom­ing a Leg­end on your campus.

Over the next month, be on the look­out for your new chal­lenge every day — you can also fol­low the updated series of posts here.

Also, be sure to print out and hang up your Chal­lenge Check­list so you can keep track. You’ll get a sneak peak at what’s to come, but can get fur­ther details with the post asso­ci­ated with each day.

The 31 Day Chal­lenge Checklist

Remem­ber, leg­ends are con­stantly improv­ing them­selves, so it’s up to you to work hard in accom­plish­ing each daily task to help you become the leg­end on your campus.

Good Luck!

Were there any we missed? Have you had expe­ri­ence cre­at­ing an orga­ni­za­tion? We want to hear about it. Please keep us updated on your efforts in the com­ments below!