Home / Create the Legend / 31 Day Challenge / 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 4: Set a Fitness Plan
31 Days to Become a Legend Day 4: Set a Fitness Plan

Share
Cham­pi­oned by: Scott
Co-authored by: Nevin

DAY 4: Estab­lish a Phys­i­cal Fit­ness Plan

So what’s all the fuss about?

I’ll tell you — your body, and every­thing inside, is the lit­eral and only rea­son you’re alive (a.k.a. — it’s impor­tant). And maybe I’m speak­ing for just me, but I want mine run­ning like a per­fectly tuned, mas­ter­ful machine!

Ferrari Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 4: Set a Fitness Plan

Like a Fer­rari… do you want to drive a Fer­rari? Yes… yes you do. (hint: so does your lady friend, think about it)

Sure, “you need to get in bet­ter shape,” is an annoy­ingly overused soap box preacherbut it’s true! We can always get bet­ter, and what bet­ter place to start? Plus, all the added ben­e­fits that come along with a gen­eral or ele­vated level of fit­ness: you’ll notice bet­ter moods, you won’t get sick as often, higher lev­els of pro­duc­tiv­ity, etc… And to really drive the point home: there are thou­sands of arti­cles writ­ten on the impor­tance of phys­i­cal fit­ness and it’s pos­i­tive cor­re­la­tion to suc­cess­ful peo­ple. That’s great com­pany to be in, folks.

Now, for you naysay­ers out there — I’ve heard ‘em all:

• I don’t have time for fit­ness, I’m too busy.” (that’s a lame excuse, and you know it)
  • I hate work­ing out.” (quit being stub­born, there’s some kind of phys­i­cal activ­ity you’ll enjoy, I promise)
  • I like my cake, and I get to eat it too, because I’m fat.” (by the way, how great is cake?)
  • I don’t care what I look like.” (that’s fine, well not really because you should, but it’s about being healthy too)
  • It’s not a beer belly, it’s my engine for this sex machine.” (who’s got two thumbs and is not a sex machine? That guy…)
  • I could go on, if you have any more for me, share it the com­ments below!

We’re here to help. Whether you’re just get­ting started, or you want to enhance what you’re already doing, we have your back:

For Starters, Let’s Make Things Easy

Fit­ness plans scare a lot of peo­ple. Why, you might ask? Because they are usu­ally made out to be way more com­pli­cated or time con­sum­ing than they actu­ally are.

Don’t worry, we’re all about sim­plic­ity. And our time is very valu­able, just like yours. So, we want to give you sev­eral con­cepts that are sim­ple, time-savvy, and effec­tive. We want to max­i­mize our results with­out hav­ing to put a ton of effort into it.

IF YOU ARE NEW TO FITNESS: we don’t want to lose you after the com­ments below; I highly rec­om­mend you look into enrolling in a fitness-themed class next term. Most, if not all, cam­pus recre­ational facil­i­ties offer classes for just about any­thing you can think of, fit­ness wise.

SEE ALSO: Exer­cise and Eat­ing: 4 Rules to Max­i­mize your Efforts

The Morn­ing is Your Friend - any phys­i­cal activ­ity you do in the morn­ing, opposed to the evening, will expo­nen­tially increase results. You’ll increase your metab­o­lism for the entire day, feel more alert, and won’t be tempted to skip out on a work­out when your friends come call­ing later.

More Usu­ally Isn’t Bet­ter - com­mon mis­con­cep­tion: to get in great shape, I need to spend hours in the gym and lift heavy weights. Not true, my friends. In fact, I would argue I get twice as much out of a 45-minute work­out than 99.9% of peo­ple get out of 2-hour workout.

How so? Proper form and intensity.

DO NOT com­pro­mise form for more weight (if you need advice on proper form, with any­thing, let me know). And try to focus on lit­tle to no rest in between sets, if you’re fit to do so. You’ll increase the inten­sity of your work­out, shred­ding fat in the process, and will add a car­dio component.

Con­sis­tency is Key — dis­grun­tled from a dis­ap­point­ing work­out? Pay no mind to it. This game is all about con­sis­tency. Every minute you spend on your fit­ness is like an invest­ment, you have to “pay-in” dur­ing the good and bad times if you want to beat the mar­ket. Exer­cise will become a habit for you.

Focus on Flex­i­bil­ity - work on you’re stretch­ing. I can’t think of a bet­ter way to decrease recov­ery time and injuries. Added bonus: your per­for­mance in the bed­room (you’ll see what I mean, it’s pretty awesome).

Seri­ously, Have Fun — if you approach work­ing out and get­ting health­ier with a neg­a­tive atti­tude, you will hate it. Instead, look at it this way: you’re revving up the engine of your soon-to-be Fer­rari. Know you’re tak­ing care of busi­ness, and are becom­ing a bet­ter ver­sion of you.

Next, Fig­ure Out What You Want

Before After Diet Resize 300x155 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 4: Set a Fitness Plan

What are your fit­ness goals? Make sure you take some time to deter­mine this in the begin­ning. In my expe­ri­ence, sim­ply stat­ing you want to get in bet­ter shape usu­ally doesn’t stick, at least not for very long. It will also be eas­ier to cus­tomize your work­outs to get the results you want.

Sev­eral examples:

• “I want to lose weight, specif­i­cally 20–30 lbs.” — Great! Two things: mus­cle burns more calo­ries than fat so you’ll want to have a lift­ing com­po­nent, and you should prob­a­bly put a large empha­sis on car­dio workouts.
  • “I want to get stronger, specif­i­cally on my power lifts (bench, squats, cleans, dead­lift).” — Fan­tas­tic! First, ask the Mus­cle Fac­tory for access to their Olympic Lift­ing Cir­cuits. Sec­ond, you’ll want to focus on build­ing a foun­da­tion before you start throw­ing around heavy weights pre­ma­turely. Too many hurt them­selves with, “get strong quick,” schemes.
  • “I want to get cut, specif­i­cally lose 5–10 pounds, but gain mus­cle mass.” - You’re the man! I rec­om­mend look­ing into high-intensity weight train­ing with a focus on explo­sive lifts. And for your car­dio, I rec­om­mend sprints rather than long-distances. Also, the Insan­ity Pro­gram with Shaun T. is awe­some, look it up.

It doesn’t have to be flashy, maybe some­thing like this:

Sam­ple Fit­ness Plan

Basi­cally, fig­ure out where you want to go before start­ing — you’ll thank your­self later. If you need help, let us know!

And Finally, Set Up an Account­abil­ity System

What are you waiting for Resize 300x182 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 4: Set a Fitness Plan

This will be per­son­al­ized, as dif­fer­ent things work for dif­fer­ent peo­ple — sev­eral avenues I rec­om­mend look­ing into:

• Friends (the best I’ve found, get a com­mit­ted work­out part­ner and don’t let each other down)
  • Per­sonal Trainer (some­times the cam­pus fit­ness cen­ters offer classes for free, oth­er­wise this can be costly)
  • Con­stant Reminders (hang up your work­out sched­ule some­where you’ll see it every day)
  • A Reward Sys­tem (that’s what we’re talk­ing about! Set goals, and set a reward for when you reach them)

Over the next month, be on the look­out for your new chal­lenge every day — you can also fol­low the updated series of posts here.

Also, be sure to print out and hang up your Chal­lenge Check­list so you can keep track. You’ll get a sneak peak at what’s to come, but can get fur­ther details with the post asso­ci­ated with each day.

The 31 Day Chal­lenge Checklist

Remem­ber, leg­ends are con­stantly improv­ing them­selves, so it’s up to you to work hard in accom­plish­ing each daily task to help you become the leg­end on your campus.

Good Luck!

What are your fit­ness goals? How do you set up your fit­ness plan? We want to hear about it. Please keep us updated on your efforts in the com­ments below! 

*This arti­cle was not writ­ten by a fit­ness pro­fes­sional and is meant for enter­tain­ment pur­poses only. The Leg­endary Col­le­gian sug­gests any­one engag­ing in phys­i­cal activ­ity check with a med­ical pro­fes­sional before­hand to deter­mine if they are healthy enough to do so.

One comment