Home / Create the Legend / 31 Day Challenge / 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 13: Meet New People
31 Days to Become a Legend Day 13: Meet New People

Share
Cham­pi­oned by: Scott
Co-authored by: Nevin

DAY 13: The Name of the Game is Networking

Through­out your life, one of the mea­sure­ments of your suc­cess will be in how you con­nect with other peo­ple. In order to grow your net­work, you have to meet new peo­ple. No rocket sci­ence involved.

Recruit­ing, build­ing, enhanc­ing, and main­tain­ing rela­tion­ships are so very impor­tant in college.

Some say about peo­ple skills, “You either have it, or you don’t…” Frankly, that’s horse sh*t.

We don’t buy that, and nei­ther should you. Because we’re Leg­ends, right?

It is much eas­ier than you think, and with very lit­tle prac­tice, you can mas­ter the art of networking.

Your mis­sion: meet 3 new peo­ple today.
Steps mov­ing for­ward: set aside at least one day a week to repeat this effort.

Sev­eral places to look:

The Class­room

Glasses and Text Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 13: Meet New People

So were you able to fig­ure out Prob­lem 7?

Couldn’t be an eas­ier spot to meet peo­ple. Peo­ple just show up to class, it’s crazy. They lit­er­ally have to come and site either next to you or in close prox­im­ity. Or even bet­ter, you get put in a group! Spark up a con­ver­sa­tion. You already have at least one thing in com­mon, you’re both in the same class, so if noth­ing else ask them about home­work, lec­tures, or the professor’s unas­sum­ing but pro­found gut.

DON’T FORGET, THEY COUNT TOO: Day 11: How to Win Over Your Professors

The Gym

Old Dumbells Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 13: Meet New People

Hey, man — can I get a spot real quick?

I’ll say it once, and many times again, the gym is not a place to pick up women (totally frowned upon, just ask The Lady in Red). With that being said, you can still find ways to meet like-minded indi­vid­u­als (and poten­tially find a new work­out buddy!). Join a pick-up game, ask some­one for a spot, or show up for a fit­ness class (yoga if you can find one, because yoga pants).

SEE ALSO: Gym Eti­quette for Champions

The Work­place

Conference Room Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 13: Meet New People

So how about that game last night?

Co-workers are much eas­ier to deal with if you know them on a per­sonal level. Now, there are obvi­ous rea­sons not to act all buddy-buddy with your boss (if you don’t know why, ask in the com­ments below), but your peers can greatly enhance your expe­ri­ence in the office. Not to men­tion, you want peo­ple say­ing good things about you behind your back. They can’t do that if they don’t know you.

The Local Hangout

Empty Bar Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 13: Meet New People

What’s good here?

Ah, yes — whether it’s your favorite water­ing hole, cof­fee shop, eatery, etc., the patrons are fair game for every­one. Servers, baris­tas, and/or bar­tenders are usu­ally pretty easy to befriend, espe­cially if you’re a reg­u­lar. And don’t for­get about the clien­tele, work on your con­ver­sa­tion open­ers (if you need some help, ask in the com­ments below), and engage the crowd.

Don’t be shy now, go out and make some friends.

Over the next month, be on the look­out for your new chal­lenge every day — you can also fol­low the updated series of posts here.

Also, be sure to print out and hang up your Chal­lenge Check­list so you can keep track. You’ll get a sneak peak at what’s to come, but can get fur­ther details with the post asso­ci­ated with each day.

The 31 Day Chal­lenge Checklist

Remem­ber, leg­ends are con­stantly improv­ing them­selves, so it’s up to you to work hard in accom­plish­ing each daily task to help you become the leg­end on your campus.

Good Luck!

Where’s your go-to place to meet new peo­ple? What’s your approach? We want to hear about it. Please keep us updated on your efforts in the com­ments below!

One comment