Home / Create the Legend / 31 Day Challenge / 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors
31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

Share
Cham­pi­oned by: Scott
Co-authored by: Nevin

DAY 11: Sched­ule a Meet­ing with All of Your Professors

There are very few things in col­lege that rep­re­sent a fig­u­ra­tive “easy button”…

Get­ting to know your pro­fes­sors is one of them.

If there was one way to dra­mat­i­cally increase your chances of suc­cess in the class­room, it’s estab­lish­ing a friend­ship with the peo­ple run­ning the show. Meet­ing with your pro­fes­sors dur­ing the first/second week of school helps you to under­stand what they expect of their stu­dents over the course of the semester.

Also, the more you go into their office and develop the work­ing rela­tion­ship, you’ll be in a great posi­tion to lever­age that con­nec­tion when it comes down to final grades being reported.

So it’s a no brainer, right? Here’s a few ways to get started:

Come Pre­pared With Questions

Business Man Questions Resize 300x297 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

First of all, make it a point to visit them dur­ing their office hours.

And sec­ond, always come with ques­tions, even ones you already know the answer to. You’re giv­ing them an oppor­tu­nity to show­case their exper­tise, which makes them feel use­ful and impor­tant (hint: every­one wants to feel this way).

To drive the point home, we cov­ered this con­cept on Day 2 when you were look­ing for a men­tor. Pro­fes­sors make great men­tors and/or life coaches, so keep that in mind as you’re cul­ti­vat­ing their support.

Sit in the Front of the Class

Businessman Chalkboard Resize 300x171 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

Two words: THEY NOTICE

It will also help you stay atten­tive dur­ing class. The back of the room just screams “daydreamer”.

Invite Them Out For Cof­fee or Lunch

Cup of Coffee Resize 300x198 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

Offer to buy them a cup of cof­fee or lunch to go over  few ques­tions you have from class, to ask their advice on a par­tic­u­lar item, or just to hear about their story. If you want to take some of the con­ver­sa­tional pres­sure away, invite them to join you and sev­eral friends.

Uni­ver­si­ties do an excep­tional job at find­ing big-time suc­cess­ful peo­ple, usu­ally alumni of the school, to spread the good word. So don’t be afraid to inquire about what worked for them as a stu­dent, or young professional.

If You Can’t Make Class, Email the Professor

Empty Chair Resize1 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

This shows you respect them and the wis­dom they share every class period. It is greatly appre­ci­ated. Also, be sure to ask about the con­tent you’re miss­ing and how you can make up for it, which por­trays your ded­i­ca­tion to the course.

Isn’t this game fun?

Offer to Help

Help Needed Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

Most pro­fes­sors are left with­out Teacher’s Assis­tants (TA’s) — offer to help with any­thing they need: class prepa­ra­tion, grad­ing, research, tutor­ing, etc.

Let them know you want to immerse your­self in the con­tent to develop the best under­stand­ing pos­si­ble. You can also men­tion your level of respect for their exper­tise and that they’re a pos­i­tive influ­ence on your learn­ing potential.

There’s a lot of lov­able buzz-words in there. Your welcome.

Keep in Touch With Them

Networking Resize 300x200 31 Days to Become a Legend Day 11: Win Over Your Professors

This is the most impor­tant step! You’ve done all this work to cul­ti­vate a friend­ship and pass­ing grade, yet most just take the “A” and don’t look back.

You won’t have to worry about that because you’re read­ing this. Check in with them once a month, or at least per term — ask them how they’re doing and/or seek advice about your future (aca­d­e­m­i­cally and pro­fes­sion­ally). It doesn’t mat­ter, just some­thing. These con­nec­tions will be invalu­able to you later in life, espe­cially if they turn out to be a men­tor for you.

You’re going to be great out there. Make us proud.

Over the next month, be on the look­out for your new chal­lenge every day — you can also fol­low the updated series of posts here.

Also, be sure to print out and hang up your Chal­lenge Check­list so you can keep track. You’ll get a sneak peak at what’s to come, but can get fur­ther details with the post asso­ci­ated with each day.

The 31 Day Chal­lenge Checklist

Remem­ber, leg­ends are con­stantly improv­ing them­selves, so it’s up to you to work hard in accom­plish­ing each daily task to help you become the leg­end on your campus.

Good Luck!

How have your pro­fes­sors helped you? How did you win them over? We want to hear about it. Please keep us updated on your efforts in the com­ments below!

2 comments